Hull FC Rugby League Shirt Polo 1958


Out of stock

Johnny  Whiteley was part of the Hull FC team from 1956 that won the league championship when Colin Hutton kicked a last-minute penalty in the final against Halifax at Maine Road, Manchester.

In the 1958 final Johnny Whiteley dominanted the forward exchanges with Workington. He had a hand in all three second-half tries, including a 30 yard sprint for one himself in the victory over Town.


An Introduction to Hull FC Rugby League Shirt

Hull FC were one of the finest teams in the Rugby League during the 1950s. They’d reached three successive Yorkshire Cup Finals in 1953-54, 1954-55 and 1955-56. But Bradford Northern, Halifax and Halifax beat them again despite playing superbly.

Mick Scott led the team in the Championship Final of 1956 against Halifax. Scott was the cornerstone of the famous Hull pack of the 1950s and 60s. He began his career as a second-row forward. But soon switched to Prop where his fearsome ball running was most effective.

With Halifax leading 9-8 in the final, Hull FC were awarded a penalty near the touch-line. Scott considered his options. And he handed the ball to another Hull FC legend Colin Hutton for a shot at goal. It was an extremely difficult kick perched out on the far touchline side. Hutton approached the ball in his usual straight on kicking style. The ball left Hutton’s boot and sailed through the uprights. And Hull FC brought the title back to humberside for the first time in 20 years.

Scott was the Hull FC captain in the mid-50s before handing over that honour to another Boulevard legend, Johnny Whiteley.

During the 1957-58 season, Hull FC went the entire season unbeaten at home in the league. There away form was less convincing losing to the clubs at the bottom half of the division.

Following a defeat on the 7th December against Featherstone Rovers. The team only dropped three points in the next 19 games. This rocketed the team up to 4th position and 2 points in front of a fine Wigan team.

Read More

Oldham were one of the form teams in the league. And Hull FC had to visit the Lancastrian’s in the final match of the season. The ‘Roughyeds’ lived up to their nickname and included the likes of Bernard Ganley, Frank Pitchford and Derek ‘Rocky’ Turner in their ranks. Oldham were much too strong on the day defeating Hull FC by 43 points to 9 points. They scored a total of nine tries through Cracknell, Etty, Pitchford, Davies, Little, Ayres, Turner, Keith 2 and Ganley with 8 goals.

This defeat resulted in Hull FC meeting Oldham yet again in the play-off semi-final at the same venue Watersheddings and just over two weeks since the demoralising defeat. No one gave Hull FC a chance of winning the game, yet led my a super human display by Captain Johnny Whiteley and his team. To make matters worse for the visitors Tommy Harris was sent off in the 63rd minute

Hull FC Rugby League Players

In the 4th minute, Ivor Watts scored a great try following some fine lead up play by Tommy Finn. Cyril Sykes created another opening for Brian Cooper and Bill Drake and Sykes added further tries. The sure boot of Peter Bateson added three goals.

The 1958 Championship Final pitched Hull FC up against Workington Town. The Cumbrian team had suffered defeat at Wembley just seven days previously. With Harris out of the game suspended and the Drake twins injured, Hull brought in replacements and managed to field an all-Hull Born pack of forwards.

Working had the great Ike Southward playing for them and enjoyed the better of the game in the early stages. Southward a class player was thwarted on several occasions by the iron defence of Brian Saville.

Southward opened the scoring for Town in the 28th minute and he and Scrum-half Sol Roper also caused the Hull FC defence problems. Workington were then dealt a big blow losing Kiwi Cec Thompson with a serious leg injury.

Mick Scott then opened up the Town defence for Brian Cooper to score in the corner. Peter Bateson’s conversion put Hull in front at halftime. The silky skills of Johnny Whiteley began to dominate in the second half and he had a hand in all three second-half tries. He combined with brother Peter and sent prop Mick Scott through who stepped Workington stand-off Harry Archer to score. Whiteley then sent Tommy Finn away for a brilliantly worked Try. Between he scored a great try himself, spotting a gap from acting half-back and sprinting 30 yards to the line.

Manufacturing and Rugby League Cares

Manufactured from 100% chunky pique cotton, the Ellis Rugby Hull FC Rugby League Shirt Polo is an inspiration by Johnny Whiteley MBE Hall of Fame. It is a 100% Cotton Polo Shirt features embroidery, including an appliqué badge as well as embroided collar stand.

With every sale, Rugby League Cares receives donations as a charity. The donation helps players transition out of the sport. Also, supports players past and present who are enduring poor health or hardship.

As well as the Hull FC Rugby League Shirt Polo, we also offer a Hull FC 1956 Rugby League Vintage Shirt.

The available sizes are S to 5XL.

Additional information




Small, Medium, Large, X Large, 2X Large, 3X Large, 4X Large, 5X Large




Polo Shirt

You may also like…

Go to Top