The History of the Addison Rugby T-Shirt 1871 Red
Addison Rugby T-Shirt 1871 story. There were a number of different ‘rugby’ type games played during the 1800s – Eton Rules, Cambridge Rules, The Winchester Game were all popular at the time. The formation of Club Rugby had evolved from ‘Old Boys’ of the Schools. However it was difficult when the teams organised fixtures as they would be used to playing their brand of football.
On 4 December 1870. Edwin Ash of Richmond and Benjamin Burns of Blackheath published a letter in The Times suggesting that. “those who play the rugby-type game should meet to form a code of practice as various clubs play to rules which differ from others, which makes the game difficult to play.”
So on 26 January 1871. A meeting attended by representatives from 21 clubs was held in London at the Pall Mall restaurant.
Addison RFC Club a Founder Member
One of the founder clubs were Addison R.F.C. Addison was established in 1869 with about fifty members. It fielded two teams of twenty aside for rugby matches. The derivation of the club’s name is due to the clubs origins in the part of Kensington to the west of Holland Park where the streets are named after the politician Joseph Addison.
On 26 January 1871. They sent representation to a meeting of twenty-one London and suburban football clubs that followed Rugby School rules assembled at the Pall Mall Restaurant in Regent Street. Addison was considered prominent enough to have been invited. However, they did not gain any of the thirteen places on the original committee.
Moreover, the club originally played its football at the Red House Farm in the present Little Wormwood Scrubs. In 1872 they moved to the Rifle Pavilion (so called due to the rifle ranges on Wormwood Scrubs), on the corner of North Pole Road and Wood Lane. The club’s final moved in 1874 was to Shepherd’s Bush Green.
The club disbanded in 1875 after just six seasons.
Manufactured from 100% cotton, the Ellis Rugby, Addison Rugby T-Shirt 1871 features a stylish applique and embroider text reading ‘Addison RFC’ and ‘Founder Member Est 1869’ celebrating the history of the formation of Rugby Football. Also, this garment includes the Ellis Rugby applique shield on the arm and herringbone side vents. It also has a velvet tape trim on the neck, plus a decorative 21 Club woven label.
This T-Shirt is available in sizes M – 2XL.